Sunday, August 06, 2006

The epic literature of the modern invertebrate

Lessons learned from society #226; apparently all you have to do to earn Warhol's 15 minutes these days is get consistently drunk and act like a dick until you've collected enough stories to fill a book.

After that, fame is pretty much instantaneous because it turns out that the current ‘literary’ trend is for exactly that kind of writing! Now, I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that if I’d handed up misogynist trash in English at school, about how hilarious it was last time I got drunk, and the funny ways in which I treated women like a convenience for my consumption, I probably wouldn’t have passed! I also don’t recall studying any novels with that sort of plot!

Drunken misogyny is something to be condemned rather than something to be published. How does the man himself feel about this criticism?

It's water off Max's back. Ask him the worst thing that's been said about him and he's in no doubt. "That I'm a misogynist. I hate, hate, hate that. It's, like, there's this extreme version of feminism."

There’s this extreme version of feminism where people think that threatening to kill because a girl won’t kiss you is not regarded as acceptable behaviour. “Feminism” here, if you get away from Max’s use of it as a scare word, means really any women who don’t like the idea of a drunk abusive man wanting to sleep with them. It’s rather disturbing that there is a bestseller’s market for stories like that.

(via iblamethepatriarchy)

1 Comments:

Blogger Bless said...

I love how giving women the barest modicum of respect is so radical. It's not like, y'know, we're humans or anything.

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home